[Skip to Content]

TDA Requirements

Pesticide Classifications

General-Use -- Can be purchased and used by the general public. Does not require a license to distribute or use.

Restricted-Use -- For purchase and use only by certified pesticide applicators or persons under their direct supervision. Designation is placed on the product by EPA, and the label will state restricted-use.

State-limited-Use -- Pesticides containing certain active ingredients, with the potential to cause adverse effects to nontargeted vegetation, are classified as SLU when distributed in containers larger than one quart liquid or 2 pounds dry or solid. Also includes pesticides or devices for predation control.

Regulated Herbicide -- Herbicides the department determines, if used as directed or in accordance with widespread and commonly recognized practice, require additional restrictions to prevent a hazard to desirable vegetation caused by drift or an uncontrolled application.


Types of Pesticide Licenses

Private Applicator -- A person who uses or supervises the use of restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides for the purpose of producing an agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by the person or the person's employer or under the person's general control; or on the property of another person if applied without compensation other than the trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities. An agricultural commodity is defined as a plant or animal grown for sale, lease, barter, feed or human consumption and animals raised for farm or ranch work. Private applicator licenses are valid for five years, and the applicator must obtain 15 CEUs during that time to renew.

Private Applicator Certificates -- From 1977 through 1989, TDA issued private applicator certificates (not licenses) under a voluntary program. Private applicators who originally obtained a private applicator certification prior to January 10, 1989, were "grandfathered" by the legislature, meaning the certificate does not expire; however, in 1989 the Texas Pesticide Regulations were revised to require recertification for all applicators, including certified applicators, in order to purchase or use restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides. The original Grandfathered certificates had an issue number of 158532 or below. Because of computer advancements, when the original certificate is recertified, the applicator is given a new certificate number. Certified private applicators may not supervise an application of restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides. Certificate holders must obtain 15 CEUs every five years to keep the certificate valid.

Commercial Applicator -- A person who operates a business or is employed by a business that applies restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides to the property of another person for hire or compensation. Commercial applicators must renew annually and obtain five CEUs each year.

Noncommercial Applicator -- A person required to use restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides but who is not a private applicator or commercial applicator. Noncommercial applicators are generally government employees who apply restricted-use or state-limited-use pesticides in the course of their employment or persons employed by businesses applying such pesticides on their own property. Noncommercial applicators must renew annually and obtain five CEUs each year.\


Structural Pest Control Licensing

The Structural Pest Control Service, formerly the Structural Pest Control Board and now part of TDA, oversees licensing for pesticide applicators needing certification for pesticide application inside buildings (including fumigation of processed food) and for commercial applicators involved with pest control around buildings and structures. Pesticide applicators needing to make applications in parks, along city streets, and on lawn and ornamentals, may license with either SPCS or TDA agricultural categories. All interior applications to structures, termite control, and wood treatment are under the jurisdiction of the SPCS.

Visit the TDA website.